Friday, April 10, 2009
Gore Verbinski, the director of the first three Pirates of the Caribbean pictures, tells Variety he won't be taking part in the planned fourth film.
"I had a fantastic time bringing Pirates to life," he told the paper, "and I am eternally grateful to (producer Jerry Bruckheimer), Johnny (Depp) and the rest of the creative and production team. I'm looking forward to all of us crossing paths again in the future."
Keira Knightley, leading lady for the previous films in the franchise, has also announced she won't be back for the new sequel, which is due to begin shooting in 2010. So far, Depp is the only major actor from the original films who is expected to return.
Worryingly, there have been persistent rumors that teen idol/replicant Zac Efron will co-star with Depp in the film. Efron recently told Access Hollywood, "I wish I could confirm it was anything but a rumor, but I haven’t heard it. I wish (it) would happen! If you guys want to make it happen, I’m here!"